11/18/2011

Evanescence @ L'Olympia (16/11/11)

Last night I was at the Olympia to see Evanescence that I had not seen since 2007! They were stoping by Paris in their European tour for their latest self-titled album.

I arrived at 17:30 and I joined the queue that was already very long to my amazement! We finally got in and we sat in the mosh pit.
The opening act was Me, a band from Australia. It was nice though largely inspired by Muse and My Chemical Romance. Their energy and catchy rhythms failed to win the hearts of the crowd that remained rather passive.
Shortly after 9pm the lights went out, Amy, Will, Troy, Terry and Tim came on stage to play the first notes of What You Want to an audience much more reactive than for Me! They quickly continued with Going Under, second single from their debut album, and everyone seemed to be enjoying! It was my personal pleasure because this song is probably my favorite from Evanescence! Amy greeted the Parisian audience saying "It's good to be back" and thanked French fans that are particulars for the band.
The band went on mixing songs from their latest album and The Open Door as The Other Side, Made of Stone, Lithium, Call Me When You're Sober. Amy was making round trips to the synthesizer when necessary and a piano arrived on stage in the middle of the set. The concert was marked by some "Thank you" in French from Amy and a pleasant ambience although sometimes a little too shy to my opinionI was very surprised to see Imaginary included on the setlist as it is a song dear to my heart and not a single, so I was thrilled! Bring Me To Life just before the encore was a pleasure for older fans who could not help singing "Wake me up, can not wake up, save me", the words of McCoy in the original version of the song.
The band made itself desired for 5 long minutes under screamings and applause from the audience before coming back on stage for two songs performed by Amy at the piano and another one: the sublime Your Star and the classical My Immortal.
The concert went quickly, barely 1h20. Although I found it a bit short I was not shocked because I'm used to it. However, Amy's voice has improved dramatically! You can find videos of Going Under, Imaginary, Bring Me To Life and Your Star on Youtube (in the sidebar) and here is the setlist that was played:

What You Want 
Going under 
The Other Side 
Weight of the World 
The Change 
Made Of Stone 
Lost In Paradise 
My Heart Is Broken 
Lithium 
Sick 
Oceans 
Call Me When You're Sober 
Imaginary 
Bring Me To Life 

Encore:
Never Go Back 
Your Star 
My Immortal 
Despite the cold of November I waited for the eventual leaving of the band at the end of the concert and I was right because after an hour Amy came to see us. It was more to see her face to face and be able to say a few words than to get an autograph. She was as nice as when I met her several times between 2004 and 2007, she even remembered me and hugged me !

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Tes photos sont extras! thanks pour le report, je suis un peu dég de voir que le concert a commencé à 21h, sachant que j'ai fini le taff à 21h15 LOLILOL. see you around next time hopefully!

Juliannews said...

Je me suis tellement éclatée à ce concert, c'était génial. Evanescence conserve une place importante pour moi.